Insuring Your Equipment is Insuring Your Livelihood

Insurance for construction equipment

Insurance, insurance, insurance—I just can’t keep it straight! Do I need to have Inland Marine insurance for my business? And what exactly is it?

Do you ever feel like this when it comes to protecting your excavation or contractor business?

Let’s start at the beginning. Inland Marine Insurance (IMI) is a specialized type of property insurance that covers equipment that likely will be moved from site to site. IMI is also used for equipment that is in a class of its own when it comes to valuation, such as small tools, self-propelled equipment, and other miscellaneous equipment.

Here is a little background so you understand how this insurance came about. Long ago when companies were shipping goods overseas via freighters or the like, this special insurance was created and called Ocean Marine Insurance. As times progressed and shipments started transporting in other ways, it was renamed to Inland Marine Insurance. It’s all about protecting goods and equipment during transit while “on the move.”

Therefore, IMI coverage is used to insure specific equipment that will move from place to place or has a unique risk, such as tools, cargo, and even fine art! Though you wouldn’t think fine art would go in this category, just imagine how it is transferred from museum to museum, or gallery to gallery. There are so many types of “equipment” that move from location to location, ranging from construction equipment and cargo to even things such as musical instruments, medical equipment in mobile vans, and even movie cameras.

So, now that you understand better what it is, let’s talk about why you should have this coverage as part of your insurance protection plan.

Although IMI is a bit more of an investment than just having “regular” property coverage, it gives you extra protection from theft or damage to your equipment, during transit or off premise.  Whereas the basic property coverage applies to equipment limited to your premise only.  This is the primary difference between the two types of coverage

If you have equipment of any type that will be moved or used off-premises, we highly recommend you add this protection to your policy if you don’t already have it. Examples of contractors who need IMI would be builders, installers, construction companies, excavators, tree trimmers, etc.

So, simply put, if you have equipment or tools that are used off premises, give Contractors Insurance Agency a call and let’s discuss what your policy and investment would look like.  Most clients are surprised at the affordability of adding Inland Marine Insurance coverage.

In conclusion, if any of your equipment is used off premises, you want to be sure that it is covered properly so that no matter what happens you can have peace of mind that you are protecting your investments in the best way you can. At Contractors Insurance Agency, all of our agents are CRIS Certified (Construction Risk and Insurance Specialist).  Also, we are not your typical “jack-of-all-trades” insurance agency!  Due to our specialty focus we have access to selected programs and more competitive rates for contractor business owners like you, than the traditional agent.

Feel free to leave a comment or ask any questions! If you are ready to get a quote, just reach out to us and let’s talk. We are here to help!

//Function generates a current year and adds language for copyright notice. var currentYear = function() { var d = new Date(); var n = d.getFullYear(); document.querySelector(".copyright-text").innerHTML = '© Copyright ' + n + ' Contractors Insurance Agency'; }// ~end copyright currentYear();